Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Prayer VBS Wall

We walked around the VBS sight and prayed for the neighborhood. During that time we were able to go to a few houses of people we met last year. We found Ronnie, tiger and paw paw’s house. We knocked on the door and tiger came to the door but didn’t recognize us so he didn’t come out.  It was warm walking around and was hard to stay focused and positive attitude. I gave a wager to our team that anyone that didn’t complain about the heat, I would buy them dinner. So since Sunday jon and kelcy are the only ones left of the students.

 

For VBS the students that came were mostly jr high and high school students. But there were a few 5 year olds. Glenn came and walked up to me and said “I remember you from last year.”  It was so good to see a familiar face. Ron and Kuran came as well. I asked Glenn if Ronnie and Paw Paw were coming but he said that they were in Texas with there mom.  We got a game going of basketball and then we realized that if we were to start VBS the high school boys would leave. So Eric from Ohio said why don’t we challenge the top 4 guys to a game of basketball and if they win they can leave but if we win they have to sit down for 20 minutes with us and here our VBS stuff and we would give the water. We knew that we were over our heads but we also knew we had a slim chance. Long story short we beat them 10-4. So they stuck around and heard out VBS skit and our memory verse.  Since we beat them we got some street cred and were able to talk to them about the story and about what they thought about it.  And I haven’t played since last year here.

 

So right before dinner we went to “the wall.” Which is a wall to one of the canals. At the wall they feed homeless people and we were able to sit down and talk with them. We didn’t eat so that we wouldn’t take away from there food. All the students grouped up and went and talked with people. Cassie and I were left. So we went over and started to talk to a Mexican man named Tommy Lee and a white lady named Cheryl. We talked about Katrina, and about them being in and out of jail and why they are homeless. During this time I continued to pray “God how can I minister to these people. I will even give them my shoes if they need them.” During this time Cassie continued to pray for boldness. And it came when Tommy lee said he had beat up his brother and we went to Jail and received Christ and then became a pastor. Cassie asked “So you would say that you are his turning point so what is stopping you from changing.” He didn’t really respond and even changed the subject.  Then we prayed for them and Tommy Lee asked about my t-shirt. I told him I got it at goodwill last year here.  (It was a Hurricane Relief shirt and on the back it said Hurricanes Blow. ) So here was my answer to prayer. I wressled with the thought of I live this shirt, it is really sweaty and if I were to give it I would break the AIM dress code. But I decided to give it anyway.  So on the way home and when we got back to the KOC I got some really funny looks. But then I explained.  

No comments: