Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fun Stuff

I hope your all doing well.

Hey so we made it here and it is just what it is like on all the TV that we see. Very tropical. So the roads here were nothing compared to last year. Dirt dusty roads but they had been recently graded. Just minor wash boards at times. The parts that were paved happend to be the worse part. So i found out that Survivor Gabon was about 50kl south of the capital (Libreville - where we were yesterday) and for perspective we are 500kl south of the capital and more west.

So we arrived in Bongolo at the hospital and were recieved by Caroline that made us dinner. Spaghtetti and salad. Before the the main doctors left the Thompsons made us Ice Cream for desert. They treat us so well.

We have only had two set backs so far in the 12 hours we have been here. First the Crane that was to be here to help put the steel beams up is not here. We have tryed to arrange a second but no confermation yet. Pray for that. Second setback is the cook that we had thought we hired is MIA. So the guys were all going to take the time to cook. Well the team is a bunch of people, minus Kay, that DON"T cook according to there reactions to the news. So I volenteered to be the cook. Yes you didn't read that wrong: I am the cook.

My prayer going into this trip was to meet felt needs. To help out as best I can. After assessing the team and seeing the gifts that they have in construction and manual labor I stepped up to the plate. So if your not laughing histarically yet you should. To be a team you need to do what you can to help the team as a whole. I am here to wash feet.

Now the task at hand is not too tough. I am preparing dinner and breakfast for 9 people and in a few days 11 people. All the food is bought I think but it really is a mixture of kinda random stuff. I do not have to do dishes, laundry, or clean the floors. So that means that I will be available to do some construction also.

So my plan of attack... Asses what we have and what I know how to make. Next make out a menu for a weeks time. See what we need to buy at the market. Then repeat for the following week. Oh how Cassie would be proud.

On our two hour drive here we saw many people walking. Glazed over faces and no smiles. We got to talking about that look and could see that they do not have the hope that we profess. But about half way I started waving to people and smiling and saying one of the two words I know in french. "Bongure." The smiles and the heads looked up. It really is amazing how a simple thing like that can brighten someones day. (Bear reminded me of that not that long ago.)

1 comment:

Will said...

Jon, it's so good to read your posts. I like being the "floater" and doing odd jobs as they're needed. I'm sitting at work on a slow Saturday. It's overcast and all the snow is gone, but Cassie probably told you that. Dexter called me Friday because he was hoping to surprise you at church this Sunday. He'll be in town til the 29th, so you'll get to see him. Impact group this week was K, J, and S (names withheld to protect the innocent. It went about as usual and I asked them some questions to give me some insight on how best to tackel next week's YG lesson on apologetics.

In other news I played Guitar Hero: Aerosmith last night on Expert and beat it by 1am. Schools starts for me on Monday and started last week for Julia. Zelda the cat is still alive. We miss you.