Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stars in the Universe




Today I was taking the tie rods and making sure the threads were cleaned up and working. At the work site there were major steel inprovements with the building taking shape. Four poles put up and they were tied together. There was alot of excitement on the site. Our team snapping pictures and the patients sitting out watching the crane and the men running around.

For the first half of the day I worked alone. I got a great chance to be by myself and think and pray. My prayers were for the patients currently checked into the hospital and also for the future patients using the radiology building that we are building. I also prayed for people back home when the names came in my head. Also a passage came to mind. Philippians 2:14-5 "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe" This is a familiar passage for me. I have been thinking about my attitude here in Gabon and feeling like it is not that bad but it could use some improvement. Dave did our devotion yesterday and spoke on how we are to be willing to let God do his work. I also prayed that God would show me how he wants me to grow today. So in the situation that we are in it is easy to complain. I want to reflect the Son like a star. So as I was alone I prayed that my attitude would change and would reflect Christ. It is improving.

In America we complain for all kinds of things: If our coffee is not warm enough or cold enough. Our food is not fast enough or any heating or cooling. We really do have it really good. Here in Gabon it is considered one of the richest countrys in Africa. Most of the people do not have: running water, electricity, entertainment like movies, clean water, and no air conditioning. I haven't heard one of these guys complain. They are satisfied with what they have. I am striving for contentment.

After lunch i was still getting the steel ready but I was joined by Bernard. For awhile we didn't talk but then I thought that I would ask him how to say some words in french. I am learning how to say Hot and to count to 10. But while we were doing that I asked him if he was a christian and he said yes. As my last post I knew he was a beleiver but we talked about how I was a christian also. He said that was sabo (good) and how the other guys that we have hired were Muslims. I am starting to really like Bernard. He is trying to learn English at the same time I am learning French. His pants are really torn he is alittle smaller that I am so after we are done here I hope that I have a chance to give him a pair of my three work pants that I brought.

Food update: I made stirfry today. I have NEVER made stirfry on my own and it turned out great. One person said that I should open a business. I laughed. I didn't think it was that good. But they liked it.

1 comment:

pops said...

Jonathan Sterling ... I will invest in your restaurant if you ever decide to open one .....